Facts about the indian constitution
From Advocatespedia, The Law Encyclopedia
This page is about the facts of Indian constitution
Framing of the India Constitution
- The idea to have a constitution was given by MN Roy (Political Philosopher).
- The constitution was framed by the Constituent Assembly of India, set up in December 1946, in accordance with the cabinet Mission plan under the chairmanship of Sachidanand Sinha, initially. On the demise of Sachidanand Sinha Dr. Rajendra Prasad was elected as the president.
- BN Rao was appointed as the constitutional advisor.
- The total membership of constituent assembly was 389, when 93 were representatives from the indian states and others from Brtish india.
- The Chairman of the Drafting Committee was Dr BR Ambedkar.
Enactment of the Constitution
- The constitution, adopted on November 8, 1949, contained 395 Articles and 8 schedules. Presently it has 444 Articles and 12 Schedules.
- The Constituent Assembly took 2 years, 11 months and 18 days to complete the Constitution.
- Some of the provisions as those related to citizenship, elections, provisional parliament etc, were given immediate effect.
- The Constitution came into force on 26 January, 1950, known as Republic Day of India.
- The Constitution was delayed till 26 January because, in 1929, on this day Indian National Congress demanded 'Poorna Swaraj' in Lahore Session under J L Nehru.
- The Constituent Assembly adopted our National Flag on July 22, 1947. It was designed by Pingali Venkiah.